Monday 8 June 2020

Why create yet another blog on consciousness?

Hi all, I'm starting a blog. There are already several good blogs on consciousness, like Richard Brown's blog, or Hakwan Lau's. So, why add yet another blog on consciousness? Two main reasons.

First, the literature on consciousness is starting to be pretty big now, especially if we include the literature on metacognition in there as well. It's difficult to keep up with the current empirical and philosophical literatures on this topic. So, I thought maybe some of you would be interested in having short summaries of articles that I, for one, find important. By writing about the articles that I find good and interesting, maybe this can spark your interest so you can read those as well – or at least my blogposts should give you just enough material so you can pretend you've read those articles.

The second reason is a bit more selfish. I find that I understand things better when I write about them, and hopefully having this blog will be helpful for me. As I usually try to write a few thoughts about the articles I read, I thought maybe some of you would find that interesting. It'd be even better if we can discuss those articles together in the comments.

So, that's basically why I created yet another blog on consciousness. Nothing too fancy.

As my blogposts will often include summaries of scientific or philosophical articles, I'll try to contact the authors to make sure I've correctly understood their points before posting anything. By doing so hopefully I won't spread misinformation. Don't hesitate to comment if you think I'm wrong about something, or I'm missing the point. I'll gladly edit the blogpost if I'm making a mistake. I want this blog to be a reliable source of information for people interested in the cognitive neuroscience of consciousness.

I'll try to keep things simple. Hopefully people who aren't too familiar with the field can understand what I'm saying. As much as possible, I'll try to refer to what I regard as the relevant literature when things get a bit complicated.

In any case, I hope you'll enjoy reading this blog.

Matthias Michel

No comments:

Post a Comment

If IIT is true, IIT is false (The Unfolded-Tononi Paradox)

A lot has been written about the unfolding argument against Integrated Information Theory. Herzog et al.’s recent article provides a much ...